Saturday 7 December 2013

How British am I?

Good evening!

I don't quite know how to feel about this, but I managed to score 29.17% in a 'How British are you?' online quiz today. 29.17%!!!
That's not even 30%! I'm apparently not even 30% British.
(Note that I even started with a typically British salutation. Then used the word 'salutation'. But, nope, still not British.)

Ok, so being the (pretty rubbishly) anonymous blogger that I am, I don't think I've specified that yes, dear reader, I am a British citizen. More so, I always have been a British citizen, and my family - back to about a trillion years ago - are all British. So, maybe, if I was American, or Canadian, or Australian, or from another country that isn't Britain, then I wouldn't be boring you all with this rant about how I'm apparently not British. But I am. And for that I profusely apologise.

That's the problem with all the hype over Britain. Ok, I admit that I'm proud to be British, and all that malarkey, but sometimes it just gets to the point where I just want to scream in the faces of anyone who tells me that I'm not British. Or gets excited that I am British.

I don't know what it is. It's as if Britain has this magnetic field that draws all these countries towards it. And then slathers them in tea and scones and afternoon strolls through Autumnal forests.
Which is fine, because I admit that I do drink tea and occasionally eat scones and the Autumn is my favourite time of year, but I don't think that these factors should define whether or not I am British.

And another thing: Britain isn't England. (Just to be clear, I don't live in England. Just to be clearer, I don't have anything against England. Well, only when it comes to rugby, but that's a different matter...) Like, if someone mentions a "British" accent, people tend to think of a middle-class London accent.
Someone on holiday spent three days genuinely thinking that my brother was Russian.
I rest my case.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I think I've wasted enough of your time tonight. But just a note before you go: "With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Cheerio!
FGB x

No comments:

Post a Comment