Saturday 29 March 2014

Baking Cakes in Leather Trousers

So, I'm going to do what a LOT of people on YouTube have probably been doing over the last week or so. I am going to announce my favourite Eurovision Song Contest 2014 acts.

For those of you outside of Europe, or those of you in Europe who have no clue what I'm on about, the Eurovision Song Contest is an annual competition where European countries come together to compete for Eurovision champion, and it's incredibly cheesy, and there tends to always be someone in leather trousers or singing about a cake [more to come on this later!]

Ok, I do admit to watching Eurovision, but I do normally have a bit of a moan about how horribly cheesy some of the acts are [Ok, there's cheesy, and then there's cheesy].  But, this year, I really do feel like some of the acts are incredible outside of Eurovision [i.e. I'd willingly listen to them outside of the competition, and probably wouldn't be judged for it either].

So today, I will release my inner Eurovision-ian [darn it - doesn't sound half as good as Whovian!] and give you my Top Five 'probably-won't-win-the-competition-but-I-like-them-anyway' acts:

5. Finland - Something Better
These guys' sound is pretty rock-y. I don't think I've heard anything like this in Eurovision before [I could be wrong]. I just hope that they can pull it off live...


4.  Armenia - Not Alone
I was going to put Switzerland here.  They had a really quirky guy with a slightly-weird-but-enough-to-be-called-quirky video, and whistling.
And then I heard this.
It has dubstep in it, which makes me question my like for it.
But - as much as I hate comparisons - he sounds a bit like John Newman.
And I like it. So there.
















3. Iceland
Iceland are always cool. I always like Iceland.

















2. Norway - Silent Storm
A gorgeously haunting, heartfelt ballad. It may not fit into the Eurovision scene, but I have a niggling inkling that he could do quite well...

1. Malta - Coming Home
I have high hopes for this song. I've always liked Malta at Eurovision - if they qualify - and I really like this song. Their harmonies are gorgeous (again, as much as I hate comparisons, they sound a bit like Mumford and Sons), and even though I don't know how well it'll do - their 2013 entry did really well - I'll remember it regardless!


Special commendation: Latvia - Cake To Bake
Umm, yeah. I couldn't go without mentioning this song. It's kind-of folky, which means that - more times than not - I'm by default going to like it.
And I really do.
Yeah...
I advise you guys to watch the video.
Yeah...



2 comments:

  1. I must admit, I didn't know exactly what I was about to read when I saw the title. xD But this seems really cool! Is it kinda like a Battle of the Bands but over the internet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah. I wasn't sure what to call this post. It sounds a bit disturbing really, doesn't it? :D And, yeah, it kind-of is. It's actually televised, and it's a pretty big thing here in the UK (even if a lot of people don't admit it!) You can phone in to vote for the country you want to win (apart from your own) and then a representative (normally a celebrity or news anchor) from loads of European countries give points (I think 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 and 2) to the countries that their population have, on average, given the most votes for. It's pretty cool, but incredibly cheesy! :D

    ReplyDelete